Recipe for a Forever Family: Take One Mom (formerly from the Midwest), Add One Cutie Pie (formerly from China), then slowly Stir in Two Big Drooly Dogs.
RSS

FALSE ALARM!!!!

"Laura, I need you to bring your camera or camcorder down to the lobby right now!" This is what Michael (our guide) told me after calling me in my room about a hour ago. It didn't click as to why, so I asked, "Why is that?". "The babies are coming directly to the hotel. They are on their way and will be here very soon!!" was the response.

Talk about flying into action. After slamming down the phone, ringing my parents to wake them up and get them going, I tore around the room grabbing things that I had wanted to take with me. Of course I couldn't remember/find most of it, so I settled for a blankie, my camcorder & her picture. Ran over to Mom & Dad's room to get them and headed to the elevators. Meanwhile some folks were just returning from the store and didn't even know yet, so the ones that did were spreading the news. Turns out that Michael thought the five babies from the Xiu Shan orphanage were on their way over. Just picture five anxious families hovering in the lobby, watching every taxi, van and bus that approached the hotel. Many of the other families were there too, waiting with cameras in hand ready to help us video and photograph our moment.

Unfortunately...
It turned out to be a mistake. Not Michael's fault, rather the babies in question were going to another group at another hotel and somebody had confused the two groups and contacted Michael by mistake. After an anxious half hour of lobby pacing, they contacted our guide and informed him of the mistake. Poor Michael felt horrible, but everyone took it in stride (just another up/down in the adoption roller coaster). We are still on for tomorrow. One nice thing about this is one family's parents are not in yet (their flight was delayed.) Although we didn't get our babies tonight, at least everyone will be there tomorrow when we do.

PS - One quick note. When the "baby drill" went off, Mom was ready to go right when I went to their door. On the other hand, Dad was checking batteries and took a little longer. Hmmm....Mom & I are going to have to have a long talk with him tonight about being fully prepared at all times to make sure he is ready for tomorrow. :) He wasn't alone. On the elevator down, all the Moms were there, but no Dads. :))

0 comments:

Site Visits