Recipe for a Forever Family: Take One Mom (formerly from the Midwest), Add One Cutie Pie (formerly from China), then slowly Stir in Two Big Drooly Dogs.
RSS

"Mommy, I so proud of you!"

First we woke up at 5:30am...make that I woke up at 5:30am and dragged a sleepy Maeve along for the ride. We headed off to the registration event of a local running group. (I have been threatening for a year or two now to get back into running, so finally decided to do it.) Earlier this week, I checked to see if it was okay to have one adult and one child in a jogging stroller as part of the program, so no problem there.

Maeve might have been a little groggy in the car, but by the time we hit the track it was a different story. Today, I had to run a mile (2x around the track) to establish my pace group. My plan was to push Maeve in the jogging stroller, but Maeve had a completely different idea in mind...she was determined to run it right along with me. Maeve almost ran the whole mile. She only stopped to ride in the stroller for a little bit, and that was just to suck down her sippy cup. We had the only jogging stroller on the track and definitely stood out from the crowd. Here's how it went for most of the run.

Mommy: Panting, breathing hard, trying to keep a pace.
Maeve: "Run Mommy! Run! Corre Mommy! Corre!" (Corre is Spanish for Run.)
Mommy: Panting, breathing hard, still trying to keep a pace.
Maeve: "This is fun!! Mommy, say Wheeee!! Say it Mommy! Say Wheee!!"
Mommy & Maeve together: "Wheeeeee!!" (yes, I heard laughing around us)
Maeve: (as other runners passed us) "Wow Mommy! They are super fast!!" or "Mommy, they really good runner!"
Mommy: Still panting, breathing hard, trying to keep the pace that Maeve has set.

Maeve made quite a few new friends with her "super fast" & "good runner" compliments. I think everyone thought she was quite cute. One thing to note...we did not finish last. Yes, some of the newer runners now have quiet mental goals to beat a three year old. Me? Luckily, I managed to keep pace with her. It would have been difficult if we had ended up in two different pace groups. ;) I do know, I definitely have to up my game plan if I have any hopes to keep up with her when she is four.

Finally, the mile was over and we were given a pace group assignment. I started to head to the exit, but Maeve goes, "Mommy, go run!" and took off. We had to do another lap around the track.

After dragging Maeve from the track, we were off. Grudgedly accepting that "running" was done for the day, her next words were, "Go Swim?!" Maeve chanted this the rest of the way home and I'm not sure if I truly agreed or it was the effects of the brain washing, I thought it was a good idea too. First though, we made time to call Grandma & Grandpa (& also talked to Aunt Darcy.) Maeve was in a talkative mood and even sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" for each of them. Now, if she can remember to hold the phone up directly to her mouth when talking, it will be even better. But Grandma & Grandpa (& Aunt Darcy) all got their fair share of Maeve today, including a few "I love Yous!". Knowing I had avoided being disowned once again (it's so not about me anymore), we headed down to the pool, where she happily splashed around for a hour or so. There were a few other kids there, which was bonus for her...more pool toys to play with and argue over.

We had a good time there and even practiced some of our swim lessons moves (I have a good feeling about Tuesday). Then it was back to the house where I insisted Maeve take a nap. It wasn't so much for her as it was for me. Mommy was tired. Very, very tired.

After our nap, we worked around the house for a bit, each doing our part. Maeve making the mess and Mommy cleaning it up and then we drove off to run some errands. I had realized that morning that "Miss Constantly Growing" just barely fit into her size 7 Nikes and needed a bigger size. We ended up with two new pairs of size 8 running shoes. One absolutely adorable pair of Dora running shoes (which she refused to take off the rest of the day) and a new pair of Nikes (no laces, Velcro just like Grandpa.) After a couple more errands, we stopped off at the grocery store. Now it was hot and time to eat, so "Miss Sunshine" was more on the "Miss Cranky" side by then. Luckily, the grocery store had recently brought in racing car grocery carts. Maeve can sit in front and drive the car while Mommy wields the cart behind her. She loves this car and I am eternally grateful to the person who thought of it! A big Thank You to this mystery person! I hope you made millions from it!

Finally, we made it home and Maeve immediately demands her "Juice". This girl is addicted to Orange Juice and I had run out the day before. She really didn't freak out too much when we ran out, but when I pulled out the new gallon jug, she went beserk. This girl has an issue and I am seriously considering rehab. She sucked down three big sippies of this orange stuff one after another. Luckily I had thought this might be a possibility, so I iced them down and made sure the cups were 1/2 water too.

What a day! Now, relaxing on the couch, watching a little Nick Jr (the "General" has the remote afterall), Maeve plops down next to me, looks me in the eye and says, "Mommy, I so proud of you!"

That's my girl! I'm proud of her too!

0 comments:

Site Visits