Recipe for a Forever Family: Take One Mom (formerly from the Midwest), Add One Cutie Pie (formerly from China), then slowly Stir in Two Big Drooly Dogs.
RSS

Go Run?!

That's how Maeve greeted me at the door last night. Wearing a cute little sundress and her new Nike sneakers, the first words out of her mouth were, "Mommy, go run?!" Then it went something like this.

Mommy: "Well, what about swimming? Do you want to go swimming?"
Maeve: "Swim in the baby pool?" (she used to beg to swim in the big pool.)
Mommy: "No swim with Mandy & Michelle in the big pool."
Maeve (shouting): "No! No big pool! No swim! We go run! I run!!"

This was the first time ever she has turned down an opportunity to go swimming. This conversation repeated itself in various forms for the next 15 minutes while we changed into our bathing suits. While Maeve did willing put on her bathing suit, she kept insisting on swimming in the baby pool and even put her Nike sneakers back on...just in case I changed my mind about running. She even made a last ditch effort as we were leaving, trying to insist that we take the stroller and not the car. (There are two pools. Swim lessons are to far and we drive, but there is a closer pool that doesn't offer swimming lessons that we regularly walk to with the stroller.) Ignoring her stroller requests/orders, I put her in the car and then listened to a rather angry & insistent Maeve for the five minute ride over, "Mommy, no big pool! I swim baby pool!! No Mandy & Michelle! NO!!". This continued for the two minute stroll from the parking lot to the pool gate. In the pool area, Maeve trailed about 10 feet behind me with the same angry chant...quite entertaining for all those around us. I continued to ignore and sat her down to take her shoes off. At this point, Maeve tells me, "Mommy, no you go swim. I sit here!" Oh boy...another loooonnnngggg 30 minutes.

I walked her over and sat on the steps with her and, yes, when it was her turn I made her go out. Both instructors, Mandy & Michelle were highly supportive and tried to help out, encouraging her and pointing to me, saying, "There's your Mommy." anytime she became upset out on the water. But no smiles, no happy Maeve, just a "I'm gritting my teeth to get thru this" little girl. Still, I high fived her after every turn in the pool and smiled and waved like a mad woman every time she was out in the pool and turned, looking for me.

Then the Turning Point!

Michelle asked who wanted to jump in the pool? That is how they end the lessons, letting the kids jump into the pool and they catch them (heads do not go underwater unless the kids are ready.) Michelle asked the question and Maeve shrieked! My immediate thought was that it completely freaked her out and she was scared, but No! She was so happy, and doing a little dance because she could hardly wait. I walked around with her to the side of the pool where they jump from and stood next to her. Maeve turned and pushed me away and I mean pushed. Heaven forbid I cut in front of her. Off she went and jumped four times into the waiting arms of Mandy and Michelle. All smiles and completely happy, she even high fived Mandy & Michelle at the end of class before we went to swim in the little (baby) pool. Less than a hour later, while driving home after splashing in the baby pool for awhile, I asked Maeve if she had fun. "Yes!!" was the answer. Pushing my luck, I asked if she liked Mandy & Michelle. Again, a loud "Yes!!" came from the back seat. Then, really pushing my luck, I asked if she wanted to go swimming again on Tuesday with Mandy & Michelle. "Yes Mommy! I go swimming with Mandy & Michelle!!" was the swift reply. Now, I am not claiming complete victory yet. A lot can happen between now and then to make Maeve change her mind, but it was nice to hear that I hadn't put my child through a complete torture session.

As we were going home, I told Maeve, "I'm so proud of you!". Maeve looked at me and said, "I proud of you too Mommy!"

0 comments:

Site Visits